[lfs-support] LFS-7.2 host system tar version

nettxzl nettxzl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:22:07 PST 2012

On 11/24/12, nettxzl <nettxzl at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Sorry if this comes through twice. My first attempt seems to have
> vanished.)
>
> Hi,
>
> I was starting the gcc-4.7.1 (Pass 1) build in Chap. 5 and I was
> trying to unpack the files compressed with xz following the command
> given there:
>
> tar -Jxf ../mpfr-3.1.1.tar.xz
>
> but I got this error message:
>
> tar: invalid option -- J
>
> I guessed my host system tar is too old, but it is tar-1.19 and this
> is newer than the minimum version, tar-1.18, stated in the host system
> requirements.
> It's not a problem because I can unpack the files in two steps: first
> with xz, then with tar.
>
> But I think you may want to update the tar version in the host system
> requirements.
>
> I checked the tar release info at http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/#releases
>
> -J was only introduced as a new short option in tar-1.21 as an alias for
> --lzma.
>
> And in tar-1.22, the --xz option was introduced to support xz
> compression, while the short option -J was reassigned as a shortcut
> for --xz.
>
> Toni

Ok, I updated the tar version on my host system to tar-1.22  (from
1.19) and now it works fine.

-Jxf works, -xf works

As I suspected the problem was with the tar version. Since 1.19 is
newer than the minimum version 1.18 in the LFS-7.2 host system
requirements I think it would be good to update it in the LFS book as
well. But even if you don't, at least the information is in the
lfs-support archives now in case anyone else runs into the same
problem.

Toni