[lfs-support] LFS-7.2 host system tar version

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 23 18:00:07 PST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:22:50AM +0800, nettxzl wrote:
> On 11/24/12, William Harrington <berzerkula at cox.net> wrote:
> >

> > Tar has been able to auto-detect the compression method based on the
> > extension since
> >
> > as per changelog
> >
> > 2009-09-08  Sergey Poznyakoff  <gray at gnu.org.ua>

[...]
> But not -xz. If you look at the changelogs you pasted there is no
> mention of -xz. At most they only mention -lzma which is the
> predecessor to -xz.
>
> If you look at the release logs from  http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/#releases
> (which I quoted in my original post)
>
> you find the following:
>
> 2008-12-27  	1.21
> # New short option -J, an alias for --lzma
>
> (i.e., the option -J was only introduced in version 1.21)
>
> And
>
> 2009-03-05  	1.22
> # Support for xz compression (--xz option)
> # Short option -J is reassigned as a shortcut for --xz
>
> (And support for xz compression, and the short option -J in place of
> --xz was only introduced in 1.22)

 That matches my experience - back in the day, I had to upgrade tar
so that my own build scripts could use .xz tarballs directly.  I've
still got the upgrade script, and it installed 1.23 which was then
the current version.  I don't have the details of the version I was
upgrading from, but ISTR it was fairly recent - probably 1.20.

ĸen