[lfs-support] LFS-7.2 host system tar version

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Fri Nov 23 17:44:57 PST 2012

On Nov 23, 2012, at 7:22 PM, nettxzl wrote:

> But not -xz. If you look at the changelogs you pasted there is no
> mention of -xz. At most they only mention -lzma which is the
> predecessor to -xz.

xz installs the link for lzma.

-xz isn't a valid option for tar. I don't know what you are getting at.

look at your tar help: tar --help

--xz is the option with -J

--lzma is it's own option.

Depends on your version of tar. If your host is before tar 1.13 or
1.14 it may differ.
Distros also have their own mangles of options with tar.

also some tar versions require the options to be in order, like xjvf
not fjvx.

Also, it helps to know what you are doing and explain the specific
problem and give some host information.

If your particluar issue is with your distro having some weird options
for lzma and xz, then perhaps the book needs to use xzcat and pipe to
tar.

Sincerely,

William Harrington