[lfs-support] LFS-7.2 host system tar version

nettxzl nettxzl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 16:33:12 PST 2012

(Sorry if this comes through twice. My first attempt seems to have vanished.)

Hi,

I was starting the gcc-4.7.1 (Pass 1) build in Chap. 5 and I was
trying to unpack the files compressed with xz following the command
given there:

tar -Jxf ../mpfr-3.1.1.tar.xz

but I got this error message:

tar: invalid option -- J

I guessed my host system tar is too old, but it is tar-1.19 and this
is newer than the minimum version, tar-1.18, stated in the host system
requirements.
It's not a problem because I can unpack the files in two steps: first
with xz, then with tar.

But I think you may want to update the tar version in the host system
requirements.

I checked the tar release info at http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/#releases

-J was only introduced as a new short option in tar-1.21 as an alias for --lzma.

And in tar-1.22, the --xz option was introduced to support xz
compression, while the short option -J was reassigned as a shortcut
for --xz.

Toni