[lfs-support] LFS-7.2 host system tar version
berzerkula at cox.net
Fri Nov 23 16:52:01 PST 2012
On Nov 23, 2012, at 6:33 PM, nettxzl wrote:
> (Sorry if this comes through twice. My first attempt seems to have
> I was starting the gcc-4.7.1 (Pass 1) build in Chap. 5 and I was
> trying to unpack the files compressed with xz following the command
> given there:
> tar -Jxf ../mpfr-3.1.1.tar.xz
> but I got this error message:
> tar: invalid option -- J
Tar has been able to auto-detect the compression method based on the
as per changelog
2009-09-08 Sergey Poznyakoff <gray at gnu.org.ua>
Automatic detection of seekable archives.
* src/buffer.c (guess_seekable_archive): New function.
(_open_archive): Call guess_seekable_archive for archives
open for reading.
* src/common.h (seek_option): New global.
* src/tar.c (options): New option --no-seek.
(parse_opt): --seek and --no-seek set seek_option,
(decode_options): Initialize seek_option to -1.
2007-10-17 Sergey Poznyakoff <gray at gnu.org.ua>
* src/suffix.c: New file. Compress format detection by archive
suffix (when creating). Suggested by Jean-Pierre Demailly.
* src/Makefile.am: Add suffix.c
* src/buffer.c (magic): Add an entry for new lzma format. Proposed
by Lasse Collin.
* src/common.h (set_comression_program_by_suffix): New prototype.
* src/tar.c: New options --auto-compress (-a) and --lzma
* THANKS: Add Lasse Collin and Jean-Pierre Demailly.
* NEWS: Update
* doc/tar.texi: Update
Current host system requirements require tar 1.18 which includes all
the above. So what's the issue? Tar 1.18 was released after June 2007.
And it includes all the above changes.
More information about the lfs-support