[lfs-support] How is 'dev/pts' created (or not)?

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:31:14 PST 2012

I was at kernel 3.6.1 and udev 182

Life was beautiful.
I upgraded to udev 195.
'/dev/pts' is no longer created.
Same situation if now I go to 3.6.6 or 3.6.7.
Strangely, I my new machine that I'm trying to get it off the ground
'dev/pts' has also disappeared (kernel 3.6.7 BUT udev 182!).

Before troubleshooting, I'm figuring maybe it'd be useful to know
how and where '/dev/pts' used to be created (during 'udevd' running?, etc.).

I see the empty directory '/lib/udev/devices/pts' sitting there
chomping at the bit for somebody to stop by and use it to (somehow)
create a device '/dev/pts'.  But nobody comes anymore.

Any constructive comments will be highly appreciated.
-- Alex