[lfs-support] still doesnt work right (after binutils pass 2)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 14 12:05:07 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:34:00AM -0800, Paige Thompson wrote:
> - I'm not looking for fewer unusual problems, I want to learn how this works and figure out what's going on so I can solve these problems on my own.

 Stage one: follow what others have done, and attempt to understand
it.  Stage two, make your own changes, and see if you have enough
experience and understanding to fix the problems.

> - I'm not using bleeding edge version of everything, I've gone through the trouble to check out the appropriate branches in all repositories and if that’s not enough, I've reset to specific commit hashes just to be sure.

 OK, I saw you pulling lots of things into git trees.

> - I insist on adjusting my versions according to this: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/ if someone else can get that to work then I should be able to as well.

 Mostly - as I said in my reply while you were sending this out, it
worked for someone (barring typos in what was committed) but it
*might* break something later (typically, something will fail to
compile and need a patch or a sed - I've seen that happen with
toolchain changes, but also with e.g. bison, grep)

> - you guys don’t post section 4.4 and 5.2 here ? http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/

excuse me?
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter04/settingenvironment.html
and
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter05/toolchaintechnotes.html

> - I'm sorry but the only reason I top-posted was to add additional information that I thought would be helpful in getting information as to what is going on with my toolchain. I also use a thread view email client.

 And you top-posted again, by failing to trim (or in this case
remove entirely, now that the context is effectively lost by putting
it somewhere below your individual replies) what I said :-)

 Yes, I know that is how windows users use email, but that doesn't
make it right for a technical list.  Not everyone uses thread-view
on all lists.

ĸen