[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Thomas de Roo thomas at de-roo.org
Wed Nov 7 00:42:54 PST 2012

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
Verzonden: wo 07-11-2012 00:25
Onderwerp: Re: [lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?
Aan: LFS Support List <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>;
Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 03:43:57PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> I'd change /usr to /home, otherwise it's OK.
>
>   I'm _dubious_ about separating /opt : I tried that when I first set
> aside an old machine for LFS, but it seems to me that almost
> everything built in /opt will link to files in /usr/lib.  Therefore,
> it will probably cause pain if I try to share it between systems.

That's true.  On one of my systems, I do have a separate /opt just for
space reasons.  I had several versions of java, xorg, kde, and qt and
space was getting tight on the root fs.  That can be easier than trying
to grow a partition in place.

  -- Bruce

I make a separate partition for /var/log. I've had too many times log-files that grew so large that they crashed the OS by filling / to 100%. (I do use logrrotate and yet it still happens sometimes...)

Groet,

Thomas