[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 6 02:01:09 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 16:31 +0000, Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
> > For an SSD drive, I suggest getting gptdisk (fdisk syntax) or gparted
> > (challenging syntax) and partitioning the drive as a gpt drive.  The
> > first partition should be at sector 2048 or 1 MB.  Make /boot 1 M, swap
> > 2G, / 20G, and /home as desired.  I like to leave some space.  I advise
> > against a separate /usr.  The reasons for that (small, expensive disk
> > drives) are not really valid any more.
>
> Yow! Maybe I should think about just using a regular hard drive. But I'm a glutton for punishment.

Regular drive vs SSD has nothing to do with it. Any modern system,
you're better off using GPT partitioning instead of the old DOS style -
it's just easier, particularly if you ever want to do stuff like resize
existing partitions...

Oh, and to explain Bruce's advice about starting the first GPT partition
at 1MB - this is to leave a little space at the beginning of the disk
for the bootloader. Otherwise, Grub may complain about not having enough
space to install itself...

Simon.