[lfs-support] LFS Problem Section 5.4 Version 7.2

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 5 20:15:45 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:33:06PM -0800, Mark Mark wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> When I try to prepare Binutils for configuration on the first pass (section 5.4.1) I get this strange error that prohibits me from making it later

 Please don't number the lines or insert a tab in front of them - it
wastes space.  It's perfectly acceptable to paste a block of lines,
which will be easier for you if you are using a mouse.

> 	13. configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> 	14. See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I got the config.log file, however all I saw was gcc a gcc problem.

 I was going to point out that if configure reports the C compiler
cannot create executables (on a linux system) it seems pretty likely
that gcc is involved, and I was going to ask for details of the
error message immediately before this when configure tried to
compile the code fragment and failed.  But on balance I think you
have answered this below.

> I also did the bash version check
>
> 	3. bash, version 4.2.24(1)-release
> 	4. /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

 /bin/sh should be symlinked to /bin/bash : dash is unlikely to be
good enough.

> 	25. version-check.sh: line 30: makeinfo: command not found
> 	26. Texinfo:

 That doesn't look like a useful version of texinfo, does it ?

> 	27. xz (XZ Utils) 5.1.0alpha
> 	28. gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
> 	29. gcc compilation failed

 You appear to be missing 'cc1'.  apt-get install build-essential.
$DEITY knows why ubuntu package things like this (a compiler, but
not able to compile!).

ĸen