[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Feuerbacher, Alan AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com
Mon Nov 5 08:28:31 PST 2012

Bruce wrote:

> > But I still don't understand what I'm doing.
>
> I get the feeling that you are not ready for LFS.  Use a standard
> distro for a while.

Perhaps you don't know how persistent I am. :-)

Seriously, I've used Unix and Linux as a plain user for 33 years. Now I want to learn the nuts and bolts. Using a standard distro is not going to teach me much about making filesystems and so forth, because the work is already done for you.

One of the problems with learning the nuts and bolts of Linux is, as Richard Stallman wrote back in the 1990s, that the documentation is sparse at best. I have no problem with that, and learning by experimenting, but sometimes it's a lot more efficient to get help from gurus.

Alan