[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Philippe Delavalade philippe.delavalade at orange.fr
Mon Nov 5 08:25:38 PST 2012

Le lundi 05 novembre à 17:04, Feuerbacher, Alan a écrit :
> Thank you!
>
> But I still don't understand what I'm doing. How do I know which of the various devices (/dev/sdaN) is supposed to be used with mke2fs?
>
> I read the man page for mke2fs and it's as clear as mud. And the LFS book
> is completely unclear about exactly what is going on.

The book suppose that you have some knowledge about linux and partitions
:-)

And the man about mke2fs is not so unclear, as I can remember.

> Are you saying that I have to run mke2fs for EACH of the devices /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so forth?

You'll have to do it for /dev/sda6 and for /dev/sda7 ; on sda2, I think
you plane to install your home and that can wait ; for /dev/sda1 I think
you can wait still the installation of the bootloader ; and /dev/sda5 is the
swap, you'll see what to do with it at the end of your current
section. Anyway, there is certainly a swap partition on your host system.

> I already know (please excuse my ignorance) that running mke2fs with
> /dev/sda completely wipes out the partitions I just made, so that's
> obviously not supposed to be done.

Rigth :-)

> > IMHO, the /boot can wait but you'll have to take it in consideration
> > later.
>
> I don't understand this at all. Later we mount the various partitions. Is
> that what you're referring to?

The /boot is not used until installing grub or lilo. Maybe, an ext2 could
be better for this little partition. For your home, if I guess what you
want to do, I mean for sda2, maybe you can use ext4.

--
Ph. Delavalade