[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:12:35 PST 2012

Philippe Delavalade wrote:
> Le lundi 05 novembre à 14:24, Alan Feuerbacher a écrit :
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've done a major reset by giving up on installing an LFS system on my
>> old 32-bit computer, and am now installing it on a new 64-bit system.
>> The new system now has Fedora as the host system. It's installed on
>> /dev/sdb and I want to put LFS on a blank 256G SSD -- /dev/sda.
>>
>> In trying to format /dev/sda I'm running into a conceptual problem. I
>> partition the disk into:
>>
>> /dev/sda1 for /boot
>> /dev/sda2 Extended partition
>> /dev/sda5 swap
>> /dev/sda6 for /
>> /dev/sda7 for /usr

For an SSD drive, I suggest getting gptdisk (fdisk syntax) or gparted
(challenging syntax) and partitioning the drive as a gpt drive.  The
first partition should be at sector 2048 or 1 MB.  Make /boot 1 M, swap
2G, / 20G, and /home as desired.  I like to leave some space.  I advise
against a separate /usr.  The reasons for that (small, expensive disk
drives) are not really valid any more.

For an ssd drive, you will want to disable atime *after* completing LFS.
  For example:

/dev/sdc6 /  ext4   noatime,discard,data=writeback

There are no extended partitions for a gpt partitions disk.  None are
needed.

>> and so forth. This is following the suggestions in the LFS book, section
>> 2.2.1.3.
>>
>> When I go to section 2.3 to create a file system "on the partition", the
>> book says:
>>
>> ################
>> To create an ext3 file system on the LFS partition, run the following:
>>
>> mke2fs -jv /dev/<xxx>
>>
>> Replace <xxx> with the name of the LFS partition (hda5 in our previous
>> example).
>>
>> What should "<xxx>" be in the above example?

I'd use:

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda6

mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/lfs

Mount sda1 as /boot in chapter 6.  You don't need any others while
building LFS.

   -- Bruce