[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Feuerbacher, Alan AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com
Mon Nov 5 08:04:45 PST 2012

Philippe Delavalade wrote:

> > When I go to section 2.3 to create a file system "on the partition",
> > the book says:
> >
> > ################
> > To create an ext3 file system on the LFS partition, run the
> following:
> >
> > mke2fs -jv /dev/<xxx>
> >
> > Replace <xxx> with the name of the LFS partition (hda5 in our
> previous
> > example).
> > ################
> >
> > What should "<xxx>" be in the above example?
> >
> > I'm confused because the book speaks of "THE" LFS partition, as if
> > there were just one, but there are obviously a number of partitions.
>
> The right one is / (/dev/sda6) and in next section you'll see that
> you'll have to mount /usr (don't forget to create the filesystem for
> it).

Thank you!

But I still don't understand what I'm doing. How do I know which of the various devices (/dev/sdaN) is supposed to be used with mke2fs?

I read the man page for mke2fs and it's as clear as mud. And the LFS book is completely unclear about exactly what is going on.

Are you saying that I have to run mke2fs for EACH of the devices /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so forth?

I already know (please excuse my ignorance) that running mke2fs with /dev/sda completely wipes out the partitions I just made, so that's obviously not supposed to be done.

> IMHO, the /boot can wait but you'll have to take it in consideration
> later.

I don't understand this at all. Later we mount the various partitions. Is that what you're referring to?

Alan