[lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 5 05:24:32 PST 2012

Howdy,

I've done a major reset by giving up on installing an LFS system on my
old 32-bit computer, and am now installing it on a new 64-bit system.
The new system now has Fedora as the host system. It's installed on
/dev/sdb and I want to put LFS on a blank 256G SSD -- /dev/sda.

In trying to format /dev/sda I'm running into a conceptual problem. I
partition the disk into:

/dev/sda1 for /boot
/dev/sda2 Extended partition
/dev/sda5 swap
/dev/sda6 for /
/dev/sda7 for /usr

and so forth. This is following the suggestions in the LFS book, section
2.2.1.3.

When I go to section 2.3 to create a file system "on the partition", the
book says:

To create an ext3 file system on the LFS partition, run the following:

mke2fs -jv /dev/<xxx>

Replace <xxx> with the name of the LFS partition (hda5 in our previous
example).

What should "<xxx>" be in the above example?

I'm confused because the book speaks of "THE" LFS partition, as if there
were just one, but there are obviously a number of partitions.

Alan