[lfs-support] Networking Question

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 09:38:55 PDT 2012

Jim Washko wrote:
> I have gone through the whole LFS 7.0 book and it boots great. I am running
> it on VirtualBox
>
> I am doing this for a project in my class and I am now required to give it
> networking capabilities, I am assuming I just need to go through the
> networking section in BLFS, and I have a few questions.

If you use a static ip address, all you need to to set up
/etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.eth0.  Personally, I think the only use of dhcp
in an LFS system is on a laptop that may be connected to various
networks.  Otherwise a static ip is much more stable and less hassle.

> Ultimately, I am looking for my VirtualBox LFS machine to get an IP address
> via DHCP along with still having network connectivity on the machine
> VirtualBox is running on (Win7)

Getting a dhcp address means installing either dhcpcd or dhcp.

> How am I able to download the .tar files onto my booted system (I used wget
> www.etc before to get all of the files previously)?

You can use the host to copy the files to (say) /mnt/lfs/src and then
build in chroot.  If using a static IP, lfs has ftp installed.

If you install ssh and run sshd on the LFS system, you can use scp to
transfer files and run ssh from a fully windowed system to the new LFS
instance.  Doing that generally needs a static ip address.

> Any other help on what I need to do in order to get networking fully
> functional so I can download and install new software would be very
> appreciated.

Packages that I've found need to be done early are:

bc  (for my scripts)
openssl
openssh
wget
sudo
pcre
glib
pkg-config
ntp

It's also useful to set up

/etc/{profile,profile.d,bashrc},
~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc (for the user and root too),
/etc/vimrc or ~/.vimrc,
/etc/dircolors or ~/.dircolors, and
/etc/hosts

   -- Bruce