[lfs-support] Kernel

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 23 17:45:23 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:47:21AM +0100, siefke_listen at web.de wrote:
> Hello,
>

> i have finished my installation of LFS without any errors. Only the kernel
> make me crazy.  I have 4 kernels compiled but ever come kernel panic.
>
> The Message is:
>
> VFS cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown block.
> Please append a correct root=
>
> The Kernel config: http://nopaste.info/4be0cb2877.html
>

> Has someone idea? I use at moment vmware for try first steps.

 Problem with your enter key? (I trimmed a lot of blank lines before
your .sig).  Anyway, the message means one of three things:

(a) wrong device - I think we can discount this because you showed
us the partition table.

(b) missing device driver(s) - for a real system, you have to build
in (i.e. NOT modules) the drivers (normally, libata for both SATA and
parallel devices), according to your chipset(s) - there are loads of
different options.  For a virtual machine, you have to select the
driver which matches what the vm pretends is present.  I've no idea
which driver is needed, nor if it is shipped in the kernel or
provided separately by vmware.  Google probably knows.

(c) missing filesystem driver - similarly, you have to compile in
the driver for whichever filesystem (probably one of ext4, ext3,
ext2) you are using.

 BTW: for *real* hardware, only having partitions for '/' and swap
would not be very nice - you would have nowhere to build a
replacement system.  Most people think other partitions are a good
idea (e.g. for /home, so that you don't lose everything when you
upgrade LFS).