[lfs-support] preprocessor error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 22 15:27:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 04:05:47PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > In my case (also with separate /boot partitions) I have a
> > directory 'boot' on the boot partition (i.e. /boot/boot when
> > everything is mounted) containing a symlink called 'grub' pointing
> > to ../grub.  I think that I created it (with /boot mounted, so from
> > the host system) using
> >  mkdir /boot/boot
> >  ln s ../grub /boot/boot
>
> Say what?  If you have a separate boot partition mounted on
> /mnt/lfs/boot (/boot within chroot) when you run grub-install, then
> everything should be installed in the correct location.  Those extra
> commands should not be needed.

 I haven't reinstalled grub since the first version which compiled
on x86_64, perhaps 1.97.  At that time, either I was in chroot with
/boot mounted like that, or else I had used lilo or grub1 to boot
the new system - in that case, /boot would have been mounted at
/boot directly.  Testing bootloaders gives me too much grief (in
terms of pre-planning so that I can recover if things go wrong.

 I remember that it took me a few retries to get it to work, and I'm
sure I commented, maybe in lfs-support, at that time.

 For the other two boxes I've moved to grub2, I just installed the
symlink as a matter of course because it worked for me.

> >  I think this is necessary because grub installed its many
> > components into /boot/grub and assumes that is where they should be
> > when it needs them.
>
> Grub looks for grub/ in a couple of places, the first is $root/grub and
> then $root/boot/grub where the 'set root' command is used, but not the
> 'root=' portion of the linux line.
>
> Can you suggest better wording for the book?
>
>    -- Bruce

 Not for the moment. I realise that a separate /boot seems to be
uncommon, even among LFS users, but the problem I had is mentioned
only rarely, if at all, so maybe there is something else which
contributed to it.  Perhaps it was even a bug in 1.97 (failed to
find the files in $root/grub).

The wording is enough to indicate that things might not work as
expected, I'm not going to suggest something different unless I get
a better grip on the problem.  But, I don't normally upgrade grub,
so not very likely.

ĸen