[lfs-support] Failures when booting

Rick Shelton rick.shelton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:10:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jim Washko <jimwashko at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been working on LFS 7.0 with Ubuntu as my host and this is my first build....So I have good news and bad news. IT BOOTS!... but I get two "Fail"s and get an error in /etc/profile as shown below:
>

> I was hoping anyone could give me insight on what I either
>    a. Did wrong in the LFS book to make these fails happen (I have backups where I can go and change anything needed)
>    b. How I can fix these Failures from the new machine I created.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Washko

It looks like /etc/profile was not created correctly.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/profile.html
Read the beginning of that section again, paying attention to the part
where it says to replace <ll> and <CC>.

Once /etc/profile has been corrected, try restarting the logging
daemons. That may be the problem there.

-rick
PS. Are you booting LFS in a virtual box or something? How did you get
the screen shot?