[lfs-support] Question about glibc pass1

Eleanore Boyd cara117 at cox.net
Fri Feb 17 18:56:33 PST 2012

On 2/17/2012 8:43 PM, Jim Washko wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 11.10 and LFS 7.0 with all the versions of the
> packages that the book is using.
>
> I am currently going through LFS for the first time.  I am compiling
> glibc now and have a question about the next step.
>
> Earlier in book 7.0, it says:
>
> After the Glibc installation, change gcc's specs file to point to the
> new dynamic linker in /tools/lib. This last
> step is vital in ensuring that searching and linking take place only
> within the /tools prefix. A hard-wired path to a
> dynamic linker is embedded into every Executable and Link Format
> (ELF)-shared executable. This can be inspected
> by running: readelf -l <name of binary> | grep interpreter. Amending
> gcc's specs file ensures
> that every program compiled from here through the end of this chapter
> will use the new dynamic linker in /tools/
> lib.
>
> Is there a step by step process on the commands I need to put in and
> where I need to change this specific file?  This seems like a VERY
> important step to screw up and ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> If I don't need to do this now, please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Washko

Don't worry. It tells you exactly how to do this. Just read the
instructions and do EXACTLY what they say, i.e. unzip the source, go
into the extracted source folder, and follow ye instructions from there.
EXACTLY as printed.

I've seen too many instances of people not fully reading the
instructions, screwing up and then simply running to the support list
first instead of trying to solve it themselves, so sorry if I seem
overbearing on that part.

Elly