[lfs-support] 6.06 Creating Essential Files and Symlinks

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:13:55 PST 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:25 AM, Andrew Benton wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:53:25 -0800
> Qrux <qrux.qed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Empirical" testing shows that login writes to btmp.  I infer, from that description given at TLDP, that everything that logs a bad-login attempt (e.g., login) ought to be writing to this file.  It is NOT an SSH-specific thing.
>
> You appear to be wrong. login writes to /var/log/wtmp,
> not /var/login/btmp

This is from /etc/login.defs:
xlapp [/var/log] # grep FTMP_FILE /etc/login.defs
FTMP_FILE	/var/log/btmp

This is from src/login.c in the shadow package.
		if (getdef_str ("FTMP_FILE") != NULL) {
#ifdef USE_UTMPX
			struct utmpx *failent =
				prepare_utmpx (failent_user,
				               tty,
			/* FIXME: or fromhost? */hostname,
				               utent);
#else				/* !USE_UTMPX */
			struct utmp *failent =
				prepare_utmp (failent_user,
				              tty,
				              hostname,
				              utent);
#endif				/* !USE_UTMPX */
			failtmp (failent_user, failent);
			free (failent);
		}

Are you *sure* that login doesn't write to /var/log/btmp?  Did you try your test before or after you changed the permissions on btmp?