[lfs-support] 6.06 Creating Essential Files and Symlinks

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:25:49 PST 2012

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:53:25 -0800
Qrux <qrux.qed at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Empirical" testing shows that login writes to btmp.  I infer, from that description given at TLDP, that everything that logs a bad-login attempt (e.g., login) ought to be writing to this file.  It is NOT an SSH-specific thing.

You appear to be wrong. login writes to /var/log/wtmp,
not /var/login/btmp. If I try to login as root (on tty1) and
enter the wrong password nothing gets written to /var/login/btmp. Maybe
login _should_ be writing the failed login attempt to /var/log/btmp,
maybe login is broken?

The only application on my system that writes to /var/login/btmp is
ssh, so I suggest that we move creating this file to the ssh page in
BLFS.

Andy