[lfs-support] 6.06 Creating Essential Files and Symlinks

Qrux qrux.qed at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:53:25 PST 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Andrew Benton wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:23:48 -0600
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The command 'lastb' uses btmp.
>
> It's true lastb can use /var/log/btmp, but only to read its contents.
> If nothing in LFS is writing to the file, do we need to create it in
> LFS? Wouldn't it be more sensible to create it in BLFS, on the ssh page?

It's not just about readers.  It's also about writers.

	/var/log/btmp:
	Log of all attempted bad logins to the system. Accessed via the lastb command.

"Empirical" testing shows that login writes to btmp.  I infer, from that description given at TLDP, that everything that logs a bad-login attempt (e.g., login) ought to be writing to this file.  It is NOT an SSH-specific thing.

I assumed that since LFS was creating it in the first place, that LFS was the right place to keep it.  Unfortunately, the default LFS perms break downstream assumptions about /var/log/btmp, and that's what's being fixed.