[lfs-support] LFS-7.0 7.13. The Bash Shell Startup Files

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Fri Feb 3 04:41:45 PST 2012

On Friday 03 February 2012 12:47:03 am Firerat wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 20:57 -0500, Baho Utot wrote:
> > You will get the error above on anything that requires perl when it is
> > built.
> >
> > If you unset LANG that works or you can add the following to
> > /etc/profile fix the error
> >
> > export LC_ALL=C
> >
> > So profile should look like this
> >
> > cat > ${pkgdir}/etc/profile << "EOF"
> > # Begin /etc/profile
> >
> > export LANG=<ll>_<CC>.<charmap><@modifiers>
> > export LC_ALL=C
> >
> > # End /etc/profile
> > EOF
>
> if you look at the commands as the 'raw dump' of make dump-commands
> it looks like this
>
>    cat > ${pkgdir}/etc/profile << "EOF"
>    # Begin /etc/profile
>
>    export LANG=**EDITME<ll>_<CC>.<charmap><@modifiers>EDITME**
>
>    # End /etc/profile
>    EOF
>

> Mine is, LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>
> rule of thumb, stuff in <>  usually means <replaceme>
>
> you should pick one from the list you get with this
>
>    locale -a

You did not understand my point.

I am only suggesting that LC_ALL needs to be added to the script that
generates /etc/profile.  One still needs to set LANG properly.

I know all about setting LANG the actual LANG setting on my install is
LANG=en_US.UTF8 not LANG=<ll>_<CC>.<charmap><@modifiers>.

The LC_ALL=C prevents perl from complaining and throwing warnings when perl is
used to build BLFS packages that require it.  The other way to prevent those
warnings is to unset LANG.