[lfs-support] Gmp.h missing from mpfr

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 1 23:42:03 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 20:47 +0530, mohit jain wrote:
> Hii Alain
> I am using LFS-6.7 version for building LFS and UBUNTU 10.04 LTS as
> the host.
> While compiling(issuing the make command after configure) gcc-pass1
> (which needs mpfr, gmp and mpc as its subpackages) it is showing an
> error "gmp.h can't be found, or is unusable" and in the next line
> "make[1]: *** [configure-mpfr] Error 1" I got that the mentioned file
> is missing but don't know how to fix this error.
> Please help me I am building LFS as my final year engineering Project.
> I am attaching the text from the terminal if you want you can have a
> look at it.

First line of the file shows the problem:

lfs at rkmv-laptop:/mnt/lfs/gcc-build/gcc-4.5.1$ ../gcc-4.5.1/configure \
> --target=$LFS_TGT --prefix=/tools \
> --disable-nls --disable-shared --disable-multilib \
> --disable-decimal-float --disable-threads \
> --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp \
> --disable-libgomp --enable-languages=c \
> --with-gmp-include=$(pwd)/gmp --with-gmp-lib=$(pwd)/gmp/.libs \
> --without-ppl --without-cloog

I guess you've got the order of some of the commands wrong, as you
appear to have extracted the gcc-4.5.1 directory into the gcc-build
directory. The two should be side-by-side - you should have extracted
the gcc-4.5.1.tar.bz2 file, entered the resulting gcc-4.5.1 directory,
and then run the commands in the GCC page.

I suggest re-reading the contents of the page titled "5.3 General
Compilation Instructions". Particularly the bit at the bottom dealing
with the actions for installing each package - I quote them here for
reference:

        1. Place all the sources and patches in a directory that will be
        accessible from the chroot envronment such as /mnt/lfs/sources/.
        Do not put sources in /mnt/lfs/tools/.
        2. Change to the sources directory.
        3. For each package:
           a. Using the tar program, extract the package to be built.
           b. Change to the directory created when the package was
              extracted.
           c. Follow the book's instructions for building the package.
           d. Change back to the sources directory.
           e. Delete the extracted source directory and any
        <package>-build
              directories that were created in the build process.

It appears that for GCC, you followed some of 3c before running 3a or
3b...

Simon.