[lfs-support] Boot message log location

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 31 16:21:21 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:43:22PM +0000, Mikie wrote:
> >A last thought : if you didn't build the correct disk drivers
> >into* the kernel (NOT as modules), that can also cause this sort of problem.  This is where the a Live CD can be useful: they build everything as modules, using an initrd, so 'lsmod' will tell you which modules were actually installed for your hardware.
> I'm using a dell optiplex 755 which I assume needs a standard SATA or IDE driver.

 I've no idea what hardware is in those machines, and experience
with general motherboards suggests versions of chips, particularly
for the network, can vary at random.  On one of my machines, two of
the SATA ports use a different driver from the other SATA ports, so
on that one it really comes down to which port the drive is
connected to.  This is why I mentioned using lsmod on a live CD, to
see which modules are loaded - those are probably the ones you need
to build in.  Failing that, try building-in *all* the libata
drivers.

> When I was in menuconfig for the kernel I used all defaults.

 Traditionally, for x86, the default was reputed to be whatever
suited Linus's main machine.  Unlike the other architectures, where
many defconfigs are maintained, to some extent, and specific to
particular boards, on x86 the defconfig is just a starting place.

ĸen