[lfs-support] Boot message log location

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 31 09:28:08 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:19:16PM +0000, Mikie wrote:

> CTRL s did not work but scroll lock did (go figure).

 Thanks - _I've_ learned something ;)

> I see lots of " Read only file systems ... no such file or directory" for everything it trys to access.
>

> I see this on /dev/sro
> 			/dev/sda
> 			/dev/sda1
> 			/dev/sda2
> 			/dev/sda3  "swapon: Read Only ... /dev/sda3 no such file or directory"
>

> My host ubuntu 12.04 is on sda1... LFS is on sda2 ... swap is on sda3.

 It sounds as if /dev is not getting mounted.  Among the
requirements for that are:

chapter 6 : udev correctly installed

kernel config :
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
 I also have
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
 but that option might not have existed in the old kernel used for
LFS-7.1, and indeed might not be required.  It certainly does no
harm.

 I remember having problems around LFS-6.8 when I upgraded my server
and carried over CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED : if you set that, try
turning it off.

/etc/fstab : the line for /dev -
devtmpfs       /dev         devtmpfs mode=0755,nosuid    0     0

directories : /dev mount point exists (I guess that was correct,
otherwise the bind mount of the host's /dev to /mnt/lfs/dev would
have failed).

 A last thought : if you didn't build the correct disk drivers
*into* the kernel (NOT as modules), that can also cause this sort
of problem.  This is where the a Live CD can be useful: they build
everything as modules, using an initrd, so 'lsmod' will tell you
which modules were actually installed for your hardware.

ĸen