[lfs-support] Boot message log location

Mikie kmb at mikienet.com
Fri Aug 31 08:19:16 PDT 2012

>3. Try booting, and watch to see if you can spot the first error message from the bootscripts.  When that appears, the old Ctrl-S (to stop the console scrolling) might work.  If you can read the gist of the message, and what script it came from, you will be on the way towards sorting it out.  If Ctrl-S does work, Ctrl-Q probably resumes console output.  But rebooting after the first critical error is probably the way to go: Magic SysRQ is at Alt-PrintScreen, there is various documentation, but for boot (or shutdown!) issues it's usually adequate to do Alt SysRQ s [ sync, if anything is mounted - wait a few seconds ], Alt SysRQ u [ to unmount, again if anything is mounted - wait for a message that drives have been remounted R/O ]. and then Alt SysRQ b to boot.

CTRL s did not work but scroll lock did (go figure).

I see lots of " Read only file systems ... no such file or directory" for everything it trys to access.

I see this on /dev/sro
			/dev/sda
			/dev/sda1
			/dev/sda2
			/dev/sda3  "swapon: Read Only ... /dev/sda3 no such file or directory"

My host ubuntu 12.04 is on sda1... LFS is on sda2 ... swap is on sda3.

many many times I see "read only" and "no such file or directory".