[lfs-support] LFS Bootup Sequence/etc

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 18:03:24 PDT 2012

On 08/30/2012 08:41 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>> On 08/30/2012 05:28 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> [putolin]

>>> What can I say.  Follow the instructions.  Otherwise, you get to keep
>>> the pieces of the broken system.
>>>
>> /run was in place so the only thing missing, was it was on the root file
>> system on the ssd, it just was not mounted in tmpfs.
>>
>> Why should that cause an error?
> The very first command of the first boot script is:
>
> # Make sure /run/var is available before logging any messages
> if ! mountpoint /run >/dev/null; then
>            mount -n /run || failed=1
> fi

Ok but I am still not clear as to why it needs to be a mount point.

It would work just the same as if it was not or is it required by the
kernel, that it be tmpfs?

>> Should it not have functioned anyway as the only thing missing was the
>> mount on tmpfs?
> Do you have
>
> CONFIG_TMPFS=y
>
> in your kernel configuration?

I have not looked as I am just using the default config so I suppose it
is set.
I mount /tmp as tmpfs so that points to that it is indeed set.

The default config gets me a login prompt and for now that is OK.

I will do a "proper" config when I get done with my current project of
building LFS-6.8 to 7.2 using pacman package
manager.  Which by the way is working extremely well.  I only need to
update my scripts/PKGBUILD for the next LFS and I makes/builds/installs
just fine... repeatable over many attempts.  I then take the packages
built on my desktop and install them as is on two other machines and
after fixing up the config it just works. I'll be on 7.1 tomorrow. Then
I will awaiting for 7.2 ;)

I will have a custom kernel that will work on all the boxes I am
responsible for, so I will have some kernel modules in the mix.