[lfs-support] LFS Bootup Sequence/etc

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:28:10 PDT 2012

Baho Utot wrote:
> I have been looking at how the bootup is in LFS.
>
> Am I correct to assume it goes something like this
>
> grub-->kernel-->initd < /etc/inittab --> rc S --> run levels?

LFS does not use initrd by default.  The first program that runs is
/sbin/init and that reads /etc/inittab and that controls what else is run.

> When is the getty section run in the above sequence?

It is run by /sbin/init in accordant with instructions in /etc/inittab.

> Also upon looking at the boot scripts I am a bit confused here:
>
> cleanfs is suppose to clean /var/lock and /var/run amongst other
> filestsysems,  since they are symlinks to /run and /run is a tmpfs why
> would they need cleaned? Should it not already be clean?

If they are not symlinks, they need to be cleaned.  Normally, as you
observed, they will be empty.

> I found the above because I didn't have the /run line in the fsatb and
> bad things happened when it was missing...would not get to the login,
> it would boot but hang at the "whats on the usb" phase of the bootup.

What can I say.  Follow the instructions.  Otherwise, you get to keep
the pieces of the broken system.

   -- Bruce