[lfs-support] upgrading 2-year-old sys

Tue Aug 28 12:01:55 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> írta:
>On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 08:28:13PM +0200, x yyyyyy wrote:>
> Hi! >
> >
> I had been using LFS for half a year until I realized that keeping it up-to-date is a pain. I feel I'd like to have some hard work again:), so now I'm trying to upgrade that system.>
> As far as I know It could be a failure, but definately not an easy task... >
> I'm confused about how to upgrade the toolchain. I believe constructing a temp. system can be skipped, as I have a functional LFS. >
> I'm doing the "project" chrooting into LFS. I have updated the arithmetic packages that gcc need, and binutils. Ok, to make it short I don't know the order of the packages to update. >
> >
> Any clue would be appreciated! >
> adam>

 Some people apparently upgrade the toolchain in a running LFS - but>
I'm not sure if any of them read lfs-support.  If they don't answer>
on this list, you might need to ask on blfs-support.>

 The reliable method is to use the old system to build the new one ->
on a different partition, following the book (particularly, checking>
the requirements, and building chapter 5.  After that is finished, of>
course, you have to build whatever else you use.>

 Upgrading the toolchain falls into the "if it breaks, you keep both>
pieces" category.>

This subject has been broken into thwo threads so I reply in this one:

So, yes, I would like to have updated packages because of the possibility of security bugs.
I remember there was a bug in glibc when I gave up LFS, because I didn't want to rebuild everything...
I'm using gentoo and I thought updating LFS similar to it, as gentoo also doing it on-the-fly, though
I don't know its internal working...
And don't forget the learning experience of updating a full system:)

Oh, yes, I can remember that I was reading mailing lists and security pages like a mad to find out
what to update:)