[lfs-support] NFS root booting fails...

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 25 20:40:26 PDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 08:12:55PM -0700, Michael Robinson wrote:
> [root at goose64 etc]# cat fstab
> # Begin /etc/fstab
>
> # file system	mount-point	type	options		dump	fsck order
> goose64.robinson-west.com:/nfsroot/lfs/lfsx86_64/eagle64	/	nfs	rw,_netdev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192	1	1

 I was goint to snip all of this, but I'll comment that you are
apparently exporting from goose64 to itself.  You seem to have an
nfs root installation prepared for eagle64, but this is the fstab
for goose64.

 I'm probably misreading, and I don't have any experience of using
nfsroot.

> The above is the fstab on the NFS exported root filesystem, system is LFS 7.1 based.
>
> Two problems, tmpfs doesn't mount on /run and /run doesn't get created.
> The /usr and /home filesystems don't mount and wc which is under /usr/bin is not found.
>
> If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the fstab is never getting read.

 For all boot problems where it is clear that the machine has found
its kernel and apparently booted it without catastrophic problems,
the next step is the fun option of "init=/bin/bash".  I don't know
how, or if, you can specify that on a netboot, but if you can, you
would get a r/o root filesystem and be able to step through the
options in /etc/rc.d/rcS.d and then through the options of your
default runlevel, until something fails.

 Beyond that, use of nfs with LFS is not at all common, nfsroot even
less, so maybe nobody will have any ideas [ said hoping to be proved
wrong - I know there are a lot of people who read the lsits but
never post! ]

ĸen