[lfs-support] E2fsprogs in section 2.3 of 7.2-rc1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 13:51:40 PDT 2012

Jim Michmerhuizen wrote:
> I'm building under ubuntu 12.04 installed on a VirtualBox.  There are
> two partitions, /dev/sda1 for the ubuntu build system, /dev/sda5 for the
> target lfs.  Both of them are formatted ext4.
>
> 	debugfs -R feature /dev/sda5
>
> reported extra features:
> 	extent
> 	flex_bg
> 	huge_file
> 	uninit_bg
> 	dir_nlink
> 	extra_isize
>
> Reluctant to build a whole new e2fsprogs, I consulted /etc/mke2fs.conf,
> and it appeared that, at least so far as the ubuntu team is concerned,
> the features above differentiate an ext4 from an ext3 filesystem.
>
> So I reformatted /dev/sda5 as an ext3.  'debugfs' now reports a leaner
> feature set for /dev/sda5. It satisfies the constraints of the section
> 2.3 note.
>
> Could I have gone ahead with the ext4 partition and its extra features?
>    Bruce said, back in February, that ext3/4 shouldn't make a difference.
>    But doesn't the section 2.3 note imply that it *does* (or at least
> *might* ) make a difference?

That section was written some time ago.  Since February, I've built LFS
on an ext4 partition without issues, but I did use a relatively current
e2fsprogs to do the formatting.

  $ debugfs -R feature /dev/sdc1
debugfs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file
uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize

This is an SSD drive formatted as ext4 and mounted noatime.

   -- Bruce