[lfs-support] Link to libbz2.so

Feuerbacher, Alan AFeuerbacher at ALLEGROMICRO.com
Fri Aug 24 14:07:16 PDT 2012

Elly wrote:

> > I suspect that something to do with ldconfig is my problem, but I
> don't understand how that plays into the complete Linux system.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> This might be completely off-topic, but have you tried using a VM to
> build LFS? I have seen some portable versions of VirtualBox on the
> Internet, and using a live cd to build the system inside a VM might
> solve some problems. After that, it would be up to you to prove that
> your system is better than the Redhat systems still in use at your
> company.

I've not tried that, but I suspect that our sysadmin would frown on it. He's on vacation now so I can't say for sure.

Our ability to upgrade has a lot of dependencies on existing software. We're forced by various limitations to use an old version of IC design software from Cadence Design Systems. That in turn is qualified only on Redhat RHEL5, which is ancient by today's standards. So my system can't be upgraded until we begin using the latest Cadence software. Welcome to the world of corporate computing.

All I really want to do is compile the latest version of Octave, but that depends on many other programs, most of which have to be a fairly late version. For example, Octave depends on newer versions of gcc and glibc, as well as many Fortran programs. RHEL5 has versions too old to work.

At any rate, I've learned a hell of a lot by this exercise and am about 99% of the way there in completing the latest LFS system, but installed as a user not as root.

Alan