[lfs-support] Packaged LFS-6.8

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 09:28:08 PDT 2012

On 08/24/2012 11:50 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>> I have successfully packaged LFS-6.8 using pacman from arch linux.
>>
>> Here is the link if anyone is interested and wants to have a look.
>>
>> https://github.com/baho-utot/LFS-pacman
>>
>> I am going to update that repository to versions 7.0 7.1 and 7.2.
>>
>> The "build system" I use for the tool chain chapter 5 could be adapted
>> to the base chapter 6.
>> I think it is a easy way to script a build.
> I think everyone should build at least one version of LFS manually.

I do too,

> That said, what does pacman offer over jhalfs?

I had some trouble with jhalfs a long while ago. LFS-6.3 I think. I was
MIA with LFS from 6.3 to 7.0 ;)

Anyway......

I needed a package manager so I can build once and install everywhere,
which is what pacman gives you.
One has a central/group repositories so updates to an existing boxs can
be done easily.

To install a new box all you need to do is to boot a live cd to
partition the drive(s) then,

install -vdm 755 /mnt/var/lib/pacman
install -vdm 755 /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg
pacman -Syy -r /mnt
pacman -S base --cachedir /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -r /mnt

then configure /etc/fstab etc, install grub and your done.

If you don't need a build once and install everywhere then the only
other benefit is building in a controlled environment and then you can
query the package to give you the dependencies that the package needs.
It also helps you keep unwanted dependencies from creeping in. For
example if you build on a host that has everything but the kitchen sink
and then try to use that package on another box it won't work because
the other box may no have all the dependencies installed there. by
building in a chrooted environment you control the dependencies.

Pacman also makes it easy to test new packages by allowing you to
uninstall completely a package, the only thing left over will be files
the package creates itself. Those you can find by running the
pacman-disowned.sh script and anything not "owned" by the package
manager is logged. Then you can deal with the log as needed.

Another example you can down grade packages so it you install a new
systemd/udev and it don't work you can fix that by downgrading to the
previous package.

The bottom line is pacman will give me a way to "create" a LFS distro
that I can maintain and spread to all the boxs I admin. I won't be stuck
with the ah hem commercial distros, systemd etc. So LFS plus pacman is a
big win for me.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.