[lfs-support] Mounting /tmp as tmpfs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:01:25 PDT 2012

Richard Melville wrote:
> For the last couple of years I've been mounting /tmp as tmpfs and it does
> seem to make a speed difference when building packages, particularly on a
> slower machine; I've had no problems to date.
>
> I'd be interested to know what the views are here.

That's certainly your option, but it depends on how you use /tmp and how
much memory you have.

I personally prefer to have /tmp be persistent across boots so I use the
SKIPTMPCLEAN=yes option in /etc/sysconfig/rc.site.

Whether /tmp is a separate partition may also depend on other factors.
For my SSD drive, I do use a non SSD partition for /tmp.

   -- Bruce