[lfs-support] lfs tool chain technique LFS-7.1

余海峰 haiye1018 at 163.com
Thu Aug 23 07:13:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am very confused about tool chain technique, especially when digesting
more details. In LFS-7.1 chapter 5 (constructing a temporary system) the
book says ¡°Binutils is installed first because the configure runs of both
GCC and Glibc perform various feature tests on the assembler and linker to
determine which software features to enable or disable.¡±. But after
¡°Binutils-2.22 - Pass 1¡± the binutils (ld/as etc) are the host¡¯s. Or you
can say that after binutils pass 1, if compiling dummy.c, gcc still uses the
host¡¯s binutils, not those installed by binutils ¨C pass 1. On the other
hand, when configuring and compiling gcc-4.6.2-pass 2, the following print
will come out:

checking for ar... /tools/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/bin/ar

checking for as... /tools/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/bin/as

So I guess that when binutils/gcc/glibc know they are cross-compiling, they
will use the cross tools already installed instead if existing.

Am I right? Or is there some tool chain mechanism, which is very
complicated?

----Hadi