[lfs-support] LFS-BOOK-7.0: LFS booted successfuly: Few clarifications on Section 8.4: GRUB

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:29:22 PDT 2012

Emerson Yesupatham wrote:
>   Hi Bruce,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
>   Bruce wrote:
>
>>> BTW, I have three drives, sda, sdb, and sdc.  sdc is a SSD an dI
>>> generally boot from that:
>>> /dev/sdc1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,discard,data=writeback)
>>> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>> tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw)
>>> devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
>>> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>>> /dev/sda9 on /usr/src type ext3 (rw)
>>> /dev/sda11 on /home type ext3 (rw)
>>> /dev/sdb5 on /var type ext3 (rw)
>>> /dev/sdb6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
>>> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=775)
>>> /dev/sda16 on /mnt/lfs type ext3 (rw)
>
> Emerson:   I see, your file system spreads across three different drives. I
> have a question but it is not relevant to the current topic. Still wanted
> to ask it due to curiosity.

> 1) What is the adavantage of spreading file system across these drives?
> Will it helps you in upgrading the linux so frequently WITHOUT affecting
> any users data?  All these days, whenever I want to upgrade Linux (say FC13
> to FC14) I always use to take the back up of all the users data from the
> PC, before upgrading the linux. It was painful. If the above layout
> facilitates in avoiding taking such backups then it will be good.

Well having /bin, /sbin, /lib, and /usr on an SSD drive makes things a
bit quicker.  Putting /boot as the first physical partition makes
changes to grub.cfg more straight forward.  Having /home and /usr/src on
separate partitions means they can be shared across multiple
instantiations of the operating system without copying.  If desired,
they could be on an different computer with nfs or samba.

/var and /tmp are on separate partitions so applications that use them
don't write a lot to the SSD drive.

The problem with most commercial OSes is that they want to partition the
entire hard disk as one partition.  That gives much less flexibility.
If you look at the main system directories, my / partition only uses
about 4G of space.  I generally make my LFS root partitions about 10G
and you can create a lot of them on an average disk drive.

I do tend to put large systems: gnome, kde, qt, xorg, jdk, etc on /opt
because I build multiple versions of them.  For example, it's hard to
build xorg in /usr and still use a windowing environment.

   -- Bruce