[lfs-support] LFS-BOOK-7.0: LFS booted successfuly: Few clarifications on Section 8.4: GRUB

Emerson Yesupatham yemerson1976 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:01:43 PDT 2012

 Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply.

 Bruce wrote:

>>BTW, I have three drives, sda, sdb, and sdc.  sdc is a SSD an dI
>>generally boot from that:
>>/dev/sdc1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,discard,data=writeback)
>>proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw)
>>devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
>>/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>>/dev/sda9 on /usr/src type ext3 (rw)
>>/dev/sda11 on /home type ext3 (rw)
>>/dev/sdb5 on /var type ext3 (rw)
>>/dev/sdb6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
>>devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=775)
>>/dev/sda16 on /mnt/lfs type ext3 (rw)

Emerson:   I see, your file system spreads across three different drives. I
have a question but it is not relevant to the current topic. Still wanted
to ask it due to curiosity.
1) What is the adavantage of spreading file system across these drives?
Will it helps you in upgrading the linux so frequently WITHOUT affecting
any users data?  All these days, whenever I want to upgrade Linux (say FC13
to FC14) I always use to take the back up of all the users data from the
PC, before upgrading the linux. It was painful. If the above layout
facilitates in avoiding taking such backups then it will be good.

 I know LFS book talks about various Disk layout design (Section 2.2.1.3.
Convenience Partitions) , just thought of checking with you whether above
layout is as per that or it is beyond that and to have more
advantages? If you think the above questions are not needed in this forum
may be you can ignore them.

Emerson: I meant, after working on BLFS/CLFS and proceeding to say some
50%, will there a scenario arise that will stop in proceeding further.
Looks like I can go ahead without any issues.
Thanks for your feedbacks.

Hi Fernando,

>>Fernando wrote:
>>
>>Just a suggestion,
>>If you upgrade Fedora and a new kernel is installed, menu.lst/grub.conf
>>will be overwritten. To be safe, mak always a backup, after editing:
>>cp -v grub.conf grub.conf-`date +%Y.%m.%d`.

Emerson: Thanks for the info. I will take a backup.

Regards,
Emerson