[lfs-support] Udev installation error - LFS chapter 6

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 20 02:55:35 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:34:04AM +0530, Oshadha Gunawardena wrote:
> You can find the full trace here http://tny.cz/731e9d9b
>
> I was trying the LFS book and stuck at this point where udev-181 hits a
> build error. I completed the chapter 6 without installing udev and I know
> it will be a problem in the future. So now I want is a solution for
> building and installing udev and set or recreate the environment ready for
> the future.
>
> *Initial error:*
>
> configure: error: in `/sources/udev-181':
>
> configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
> old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
> path to pkg-config.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BLKID_CFLAGS
>
> and BLKID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.

 You are using the 7.1 book.  In front of configure the text is
_arranged_ as four lines [ everything from the beginning to the end
is one command line, because of the backslashes ], starting with
LKID_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/blkid"  \
BLKID_LIBS="-L/lib -lblkid"          \

 Make sure that you include all of the command, and ensure each
backslash is the last character on its line.

 FBBG

ĸen