[lfs-support] Udev installation error - LFS chapter 6

Jasmine Iwanek jasmine at iwanek.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 01:07:14 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-20 07:04, Oshadha Gunawardena wrote:
> You can find the full trace here http://tny.cz/731e9d9b [1]
>
> I was trying the LFS book and stuck at this point where udev-181 hits
> a build error. I completed the chapter 6 without installing udev and
> know it will be a problem in the future. So now I want is a solution
> for building and installing udev and set or recreate the environment
> ready for the future.
>
> INITIAL ERROR:
>
> configure: error: in `/sources/udev-181:
>
> configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
> old.  Make sure it
> is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the
> full
> path to pkg-config.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BLKID_CFLAGS
>
> and BLKID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
> I set the pkg-config flag to PKG_CONFIG=/tools/bin/true. But then it
> asked for GPERF, so I installed GPERF and it seems configured fine
> (full trace of configuration command - http://tny.cz/5f221035 [2])
>  but I couldnt get it to compile because of the below error.
>
> ERROR:
>
>   # make
>   GEN    test/sys/kernel/uevent_seqnum
>   GEN    src/extras/gudev/gudevmarshal.h
>   /bin/sh: glib-genmarshal: command not found
>   make: *** [src/extras/gudev/gudevmarshal.h] Error 127
>
>  Thanks,
> Oshadha.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://tny.cz/731e9d9b
> [2] http://tny.cz/5f221035

Looking over your log you've done a copy and paste of the book
instructions for this package, however several of the configure options
have ended up on separate lines hence all the "command not found" lines
in the log, follow the instructions in the book and make sure options to
configure are on the same line as the configure command.

At this point I would suspect that other packages in your build will
have issues due to this and as such I would recommend that you start
again, this time being very careful to follow the instructions exactly.

--
Jasmine Iwanek