[lfs-support] Udev installation error - LFS chapter 6

Oshadha Gunawardena oshadha.rocky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 23:04:04 PDT 2012

You can find the full trace here http://tny.cz/731e9d9b

I was trying the LFS book and stuck at this point where udev-181 hits a
build error. I completed the chapter 6 without installing udev and I know
it will be a problem in the future. So now I want is a solution for
building and installing udev and set or recreate the environment ready for
the future.

*Initial error:*

configure: error: in `/sources/udev-181':

configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BLKID_CFLAGS

and BLKID_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I set the pkg-config flag to PKG_CONFIG=/tools/bin/true. But then it asked
for *gperf*, so I installed *gperf* and it seems configured fine (full
trace of configuration command - http://tny.cz/5f221035)
but I couldn't get it to compile because of the below error.

*error:*

  # make
  GEN    test/sys/kernel/uevent_seqnum
  GEN    src/extras/gudev/gudevmarshal.h
  /bin/sh: glib-genmarshal: command not found
  make: *** [src/extras/gudev/gudevmarshal.h] Error 127

Thanks,
Oshadha.