[lfs-support] LFS-BOOK-7.0: LFS booted successfuly: Few clarifications on Section 8.4: GRUB

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 19 09:04:38 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 04:57:44PM +0800, chen wang wrote:
> 2012/8/19 Emerson Yesupatham <yemerson1976 at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I could successfully finish all the chapters in BOOK-7.0 and able to boot
> > my LFS successfully !!.
> > I have registerd myself as LFS user ! Thanks for all your support.
> >
> > I am planning to use the same LFS-7.0 as base for further work may be BLFS
> > and CLFS. I would like to explain my current system configuration to make
> > sure everything is fine and I can go ahead continuing on the same
> > confiuguration.
> >
> > My host PC is Fedora 14.
> > It has two Hard disks.
> > /dev/sda has Fedora 14 (/dev/sda1 is /boot partition in Host PC)
> > /dev/sdb has LFS-7.0 (/dev/sdb3 is / partition (LFS is located))
> >
> > I can say I have skipped Section 8.4 (Using Grub to Set up the Boot
> > process), I mean I have modified the host PC's GRUB boot loaders' menu.lst
> > file to include my newly built lfs kernel. Host PC's menu.lst/grub.conf
> > looks like below:

[ trimmed - it works, so not interesting :-) ]

> > Now question is, Can I use this type configuration (that is Two hard
> > disks) to proceed with BLFS/CLFS? will it totally block any where in the
> > BLFS /CLFS?
> >
> > My Action items currently:
> > I am currently going through the "dmesg" logs of my newly booted LFS
> > system. I have verified Keyboard/Console/HDDs are working in the new LFS
> > system. Also I am planning to revist the book 7.0 chapters again to get
> > better understanding.
> > I will get back to you in case of doubts.
> >
> > Thanks again for all your support.
> >

> I have the same question as you. Hope somebody could give us a little help.
> ^_^

 Spreading the filesystems across more than one disk is not unusual.
I'll be very surprised if anything in BLFS (or cblfs) has problems.
For clfs I can't really comment (haven't built it for a few years),
but if you are intending to use clfs to build a 64-bit system from
32-bit you will need to do similar workarounds to add the new
temporary system to the old menu.lst, and not install a new
bootloader.

ĸen