[lfs-support] NFS root...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Aug 19 02:17:44 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 16:21 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Michael Robinson wrote:
> > I plan on running my LFS system NFS root.  Are there special boot time
> > scripts that are meant for NFS root?  I'm building LFS for booting via
> > PXE, so I plan on skipping installation of grub.  The purpose of this
> > Linux system is to facilitate bare metal recovery.  Has anyone gotten
> > Mondo Backup to work with LFS?  Are there better options?
>
> Have you done a standard LFS build?  If not, I recommend that you do so.
>
> I believe what you want to do requires a initrd.  There are some
> instructions in BLFS, but what you want to do goes beyond that.
>
> Good luck.
>
>    -- Bruce

I'm debating whether to create a specific kernel for each type of
network card the 64 bit machines that I want to netboot have or a
single initial ram file system and a single modular kernel to go
with that for all of them.

I'm also debating whether or not I should copy the root NFS exported
file system to say a local USB key that has 4 gigs or more of available
space.  USB keys are getting cheaper, they are getting smaller, and they
are holding more data than they have in the past.  A network root system
where I transfer the system to local storage is going to be more stable
and run faster, but this kinda defeats the advantages of and points of
using NFS root Linux which include no local storage required and no
requirement to install locally backup/restoration software.