[lfs-support] glibc pass 2 chapter-6

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 12:25:44 PDT 2012

Garrett Gaston wrote:

> I have deviated from the book just a little. Instead of just typing
> the commands I'M placing all the commands for each page in a script
> called bld and running the script. In the script I'M appending each
> line with && so what each line will not proceed unless the previous
> line succeeded, in addition each script file end with these two
> lines: date > ../FLAG &&       &        echo GOODWhen I see GOOD I
> know everything executed okay and I have a record (FLAG) that will
> also let me know. My bld scripts are also keeping log files of whats
> going on. The only other thing I've changed is that I created a
> Chapter-# directory withing the sources directory, and in each
> Chapter-# I have a folder, the lfs-web-page/packages that I'M working
> on, that would also be where I unpack the packages into.The problem
> I'M having is that when I run glibc pass2 in chapter 6 I'M not
> getting GOOD at the end or getting my FLAG file so something is going
> wrong and I don't know what it is or how to identify it. Here is my
> log files and my bld script for chapter 6 glibc. I would really
> appreciate some help, thanks.
>
> My script and log files:
> http://www.2shared.com/file/J5DFkXgs/the_log_filestar.html

It is a pain when you put spaces in directory names.  Also, try to add
some white space to your messages.  The above is difficult to read.

The glibc tests will always return a failure.  They even do that for
XPASS (unexpeced pass).

Note that there is no glibc pass2 in chapter 6.  We build glibc two
times: once in Chapter 5 and once in Chapter 6, so I'm not 100% sure
which one you are referring to.  I suspect the one in Chapter 6.

We do have a gcc-pass2 and binutils-pass2 in Chapter 5, so your
terminology is makes things a bit difficult to understand.

   -- Bruce