[lfs-support] LFS-BOOK-7.0: LFS booted successfuly: Few clarifications on Section 8.4: GRUB

Emerson Yesupatham yemerson1976 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 12:21:50 PDT 2012

Hi Team,

I could successfully finish all the chapters in BOOK-7.0 and able to boot
my LFS successfully !!.
I have registerd myself as LFS user ! Thanks for all your support.

I am planning to use the same LFS-7.0 as base for further work may be BLFS
and CLFS. I would like to explain my current system configuration to make
sure everything is fine and I can go ahead continuing on the same
confiuguration.

My host PC is Fedora 14.
It has two Hard disks.
/dev/sda has Fedora 14 (/dev/sda1 is /boot partition in Host PC)
/dev/sdb has LFS-7.0 (/dev/sdb3 is / partition (LFS is located))

I can say I have skipped Section 8.4 (Using Grub to Set up the Boot
process), I mean I have modified the host PC's GRUB boot loaders' menu.lst
file to include my newly built lfs kernel. Host PC's menu.lst/grub.conf
looks like below:

########################
#Begin grub.conf
default=0
timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686)
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 ro
root=UUID=9fe0cddd-fe18-4d2b-825c-5fb4d788caf3 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us
nomodeset rhgb quiet
 initrd /initramfs-2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686.img
# Emerson added the below three lines to boot lfs kernel from /dev/sda1
(/boot of host PC) and to mount LFS root (/) which is in /dev/sdb3
title Linux (3.1-lfs-7.0)
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz-3.1-lfs-7.0 root=/dev/sdb3 ro
#End grub.conf.
##########################

When Host PC boots up, it give menu and I am selecting "Linux
(3.1-lfs-7.0)". Without issues I am able to boot and able to verify
/etc/lfs-release pointing to 7.0. Indeed mounted my LFS /.

Now question is, Can I use this type configuration (that is Two hard disks)
to proceed with BLFS/CLFS? will it totally block any where in the BLFS
/CLFS?

My Action items currently:
I am currently going through the "dmesg" logs of my newly booted LFS
system. I have verified Keyboard/Console/HDDs are working in the new LFS
system. Also I am planning to revist the book 7.0 chapters again to get
better understanding.
I will get back to you in case of doubts.

Thanks again for all your support.

Regards,
Emerson