[lfs-support] How processor-specific is a standard LFS build?

Peter Dickinson Peter.Dickinson at VitecGroup.com
Fri Aug 17 02:26:33 PDT 2012

I'm building LFS 7.1. I'm building it using a host machine that is a current model, but I would like the LFS build to be compatible with as wide a range of x86 32-bit computers as possible. I've noticed that the build process appears to be sensitive to the processor type of the host machine, and produces files that include a target triplet "i686-pc-linux-gnu". I'm wondering whether this build will be compatible with earlier generation processors, and if not whether it can be adjusted to make it compatible?