[lfs-support] PS1 for user lfs

Andrew Benton andy at benton.eu.com
Sat Apr 21 03:17:22 PDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:38:37 +0100
Philippe Delavalade <philippe.delavalade at orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm building svn-9812 ; my host is debian/wheezy ; I encounter for the
> first time a little problem in 4.4.
>
> When becoming user lfs and after having passed the command
>
> source .bash_profile
>
> I don't obtain the right prompt ; all variables are correct except PS1
> which is
>
> PS1=${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$
>
> Maybe it's not important (and I think so) but nevertheless, I fear that
> this uncorrect value can hide other problems...

I've noticed the same issue when using Ubunut as a host, when I su to
the user lfs I didn't get the bare bash prompt. Like you I worried that
it might hide other environment variables that were being preserved
from the host. Unlike you I've never taken the time to investigate it,
I just cracked on and it all turned out fine so I didn't look back. I
suspect that they compile a default PS1 into bash but it's just a
suspicion.

Andy