[lfs-support] PS1 for user lfs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 20 16:15:14 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:38:12PM +0200, Philippe Delavalade wrote:

> I don't obtain the right prompt ; all variables are correct except PS1
> which is
>
> PS1=${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$

 I'm guessing that debian have done something to bash, probably to
indicate when it is in a chroot.  Of course, if they have changed
it, those changes are unlikely to alter the output of your
/tools/bin/bash when you chroot.

 Presumably, the *actual* output from PS1 is the same as \u@\h:\w\$
?  If not, try exporting PS1 from user lfs's session.

 Distros can be weird sometimes - my own weirdnesses were using
SystemRescueCD (which defaults to zsh) to transfer a system to a new
machine - even using SHELL=/bin/bash (which worked) it refused to
pass environment variables to chroot.  But unless the output when you
are building LFS looks odd, I think you can ignore the difference.

 Good luck!

ĸen