[lfs-support] PS1 for user lfs

Philippe Delavalade philippe.delavalade at orange.fr
Fri Apr 20 15:46:09 PDT 2012

Le samedi 21 avril à 00:32, Bruce Dubbs a écrit :
> Philippe Delavalade wrote:
> > Le vendredi 20 avril à 23:51, Bruce Dubbs a écrit :
> > [...]
> >> Everything except PS1 seems OK.
> >
> > it's to complicated for me :-)
> >
> >> Did you do 4.3:  `su - lfs`
> >
> > Yes, sure ! I tried three times ; the first time, I thought I forgot some
> > thing ; so I ran `userdel` and `groupdel` and began again, this two times
> > but the result is always the same.
> >
> >> The dash is needed.  PS1 is not normally set when
> >> starting a login shell.  We set it explicitly.  In a non-login shell, it needs
> >> to be reset every time, usually by setting it in ~/.bashrc.
> >
> > yes, that's what I do for the other users but with user lfs, I follow
> > always exactly the book and use cut/paste for commands to avoid any typo.
>
> Sure, but sometimes inadvertent errors are made.
>
> > While mailing on the list with you, I configure, compiled and intalled
> > binutils and gcc (pass 1) without any problem.
>
> Yes, a different PS1 prompt should not give you any problem.  I was just trying
> to help you figure out this minor discrepancy.

Yes, I understand and my goal is also to know why this happen because it's
not normal.

> What happens if you just `export PS1='\u:\w\$ '`

I obtain the right prompt.

I can put this in .bashrc but the prompt, by itself, does not worry me. I'm
just wondering why it does not go like it should.

By the way, I use to insert into the .bashrc of my different users the
following :

if [ "$PS1" ]; then
    _prompt_command()
    {
	 local status="$?";
	 if [ $status != 0 ]; then
	     echo -n "$status " 1>&2;
	 fi
    }
    PROMPT_COMMAND=_prompt_command
fi

May I put these lines in the lfs .bashrc ?

Many thanks for your answers and your time.

--
Ph. Delavalade